Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reveal Of My Site Placement.. My Life For The Next 2 Years..




As humans we have so many thoughts that consume our every day lives... Some good... and some evil.. Its our natural response to be afraid of new things and creatures.. 

The adjustment process one goes through in a new territory whether mentally or physically takes time.. And the expression of time is different for each individual... Some this process could take two weeks, others it could take two years... 

I arrived in Moldova on June 8th with many weights on my shoulders.. The idea of stress, unfamiliarity, loneliness and desperation of achieving the inevitable.  

With being so blessed as you already know. I was placed with an amazing host family in the village of Stauceni that has made my first month the most thrilling experience. I have never felt so comfortable in a foreign place so quickly. And with Moldova being country number 20, I can say I have some experience in this area..

However on July 5, 2011.... my life in Moldova began its step forward.. maybe backwards... It was the revealing of my site placement.. a place I would call home for the next 25 months of my service... With feeling like a lost child again.. scared to say goodbye to my beloved host family, scared to feel lonely again, scared of what awaits me, scared if I can suffer through another goodbye..

The positives my familia gazda has opened their house and arms to me whenever I want to visit and have gave me nothing but support and encouragement that my new site and family will be great... Even though they are sad to see me leave, and also feel the heartache that I do.. they are truly a gift to my life..

My Future Site:

 Leova in the town of Iargara. 

Its around the population of 4000 people. I will be living with a family that consists of a mom, dad, brother and sister. I will have running water, indoor plumbing and internet.  So would have to say I got quite lucky. My host mom is a teacher at the school and my host father does work at the school. Host sister is 14 and volunteers at the place I will be working, and my host brother is 17 and is a student. 


I will be working in "Pentru Tine" which means "For You." Its a center for young children between the ages of 7 and 16 years old. Its an afterschool program for children to come and have a safe place to go. These children could be at risk, or pregnant. Along with young children whose parents are alcoholics and making them work all day in the fields to pay for their alcohol. Its a very depressing area, however I am going to enjoy it to the fullest. I also will be conducting different sports activities for the children. Starting some kickboxing possibly, along with soccer and other teams. I figured any type of sport will keep them active. Secondary I will be working with Human trafficking, and starting an english club. 

My romanian professor also lives in my village so she will be my tutor for the remainder of my serivce so I can excel in my language and become fluent. Which is pretty awesome.

So as your reading this your probably asking yourself why would Jamie be scared... what does she have to worry about...

Its not about worries, its about change. About taking the biggest step of my life with coming to Peace Corps and adjusting to new friends and family, along with settling into a new city and learning a new language.. As I began to settle in, and become comfortable.. content, familiar, happy... It all has to change.. This is where I don't want to fail.. This is where support from home is needed, love of true family and friends... Because I feel lost, hopeless, stranded.. surprised.. happy, excited.. Many mixed emotions are are undepicted at this time...

As I ask myself daily: will I like my new family... will they like me... will I fit into my community.. will they accept me as an american.. will I do well in my job.. will I succeed.. was it right to leave my amazing friends and family and career back home.....

These questions are overwhelming.. as happy as I am.. I am human... I have feelings.. and I am not perfect.. But succeeding is in my vocabulary and giving up and running away is no where in my hemisphere.. 


As I leave you with these thoughts.. Know that I am ready for this adventure.. however as humans we have a right to our emotions.. the good and the evil ones... Trust in your self and follow your faith..



2 comments: