Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Eu sint voluntara in Corpul Pacii.... I am a volunteer in Peace Corps


Nu vorbesc romaneste… In our American words this simply means I don’t speak Romanian. Which is how I feel everyday when I am approached on the street, at school, at the market on the corner, or even doing something simple such as buying a pair of jeans.. My American ways have cultivated me into something that is stereotypical. Reality is hitting me when I have only understood, and lived one way for so long, that adjusting to anything new is scary and challenging.. Everyday I ask my self why am I not scared? Homesick? Sad? And I have yet to find this answer.. Going on my third week in a Moldovan community the only things I can answer is what verza is.. which is cabbage… and how to introduce myself…

Eu sint Jamie, Eu sint din America, din Iowa. Am absoulvit universitatea de stat din Iowa. Eu am grad in sociologiea si criminolgiea. Eu sint voluntara in Corpul Pacii in programul dezvolutare comunitar. In Moldova eu locuiesc in Stauceni.

Which all this means I am Jamie, I am from America, from Iowa. I graduated college at Iowa State with a degree in sociology and criminology. I am a volunteer in Peace Corps in the community and organizational development program. In Moldova I live in Stauceni.

Confusion is the midst of the great endeavors in life.. However what does a person do when they are thrown a challenge and the only way to respond is with words.. Yet knowing that the words I express are not taken lightly here, and my every move, thought, or blink of an eye is being watched at all times.. Its like I am a fish in a bowl and thousands of people are starring.. imagine being in that bowl with a new creature, and realizing the only way to survive is through courtesy , patience and forgiveness…  With being an observant creature, I have saw the context of moldovans and can say judgement is politeness here and means no harm, however some of the experiences I have received in my american lifestyle judgement hurts, and is looked down upon. 

With the words one describes in America, may not have the same meaning in Moldova.. Which one is right or wrong? In my conclusion neither are right nor wrong... As a traveler of many countries I have had the chance to develop a great respect for others, and their cultural ways.. However I can simply say I am far from perfect and can not say that I don't get frustrated because I sure do.. This week in language has been difficult for me... so many verbs, conjugations, items... its hard to keep everything together.. I often find myself saying "Why did I do Peace Corps?" To simply find the answer of: I love the experience I am getting, I am in need of this true awakening and fulling life!! But to my friends and family back home I want to say these words.. Peace Corps was the hardest thing I ever had to commit too... With all the paperwork I filled out(over 90 pages), the stress it put on me physically and the duration of time I waited to begin this journey. I can honesty and respectfully say "it was worth the wait." 

But I can also express that Peace Corps is not for everyone.. and I constantly get the question of "Why the heck would you ever do that!" Well.. I don't have the answer, but I can put it in a scenario that everyone can feel...  "Think of something you truly love and admire, something that makes you smile and feel worthy, something that is new and challenging every day, think of being able to adjust to a whole new lifestyle and enjoying every step..." Whats your answer?? Mine is helping other people... And I will do this for 27 months.. I will make it every step of the way...

Thank you to everyone in my life who encourages me every day.. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing okay and fitting into Moldava will take it's time. You were always one that was up for a challenge. And the Jamie I know and love will do a great job. I am so proud of what you have done with your life. Your Mom would be very proud of you. I love and miss you very much...Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shari!! Love you! Your words are very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your words of wisdom! :) You are an inspiration and I have complete faith that you will achieve every possible dream with this experience. I'm so excited to read as you learn and grow through this amazing opportunity!!!!

    ReplyDelete