Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adventure within yourself...

In life we take a new step each day.. A step of faith, disbelief, courage, love, or simply for the future. The key to each of these steps is to measure out accurately what the final out come may be and is this step hindering or improving your future.

This is how I have been approaching the past few weeks in my village. Thinking day after day of the importance of being here in Iargara, the importance of completing my current project successfully, and the importance of being a good role model for the children/teenagers in my village.

Lately, each day at my center has brought me more joy. Each day I arrive at the center and I have 3-4 children yelling "Jamie!" With each time there is always this one distinctive voice. A young woman by the name of "Olga." This precious child is 12 years old and has down syndrome. She inspires me every day and always puts a smile on my face. Just seeing her at the center, and improving her skills daily, makes the journey all the more worth it. Not to mention the center has been open for three years and she hardly remembers anyones name, but I am the lucky one and she remembers me :)

As I was saying the current project I have with Junebug clothing has really made me take a step forward. Every day I look forward to checking my email, and searching through our blog to see of any responses, donations, or inspiring thoughts... This is what gets me through each day! I am so excited for the day when the children will receive their new packets of clothing with their jackets, hats and gloves. The smile on their faces will over power all the negative that has occurred thus far.

Most recently I have had several skype conversations with my friends and family back home. These conversations help me to realize how much my friends and family think and care about me, and also how much they recognize what I am doing over here in Moldova. It really helps me to believe in myself and also to gain more strength to continue.

Many thoughts run through my head on what I really want to accomplish in my service, and I can say the idea for my next project is stirring. As we know the reason why I joined Peace Corps was to see the difference in alcoholism and drug addiction in another part of the country and be able to compare it to the United States. With the five months that I have been in Moldova, I can say that I have seen much alcoholism, hardly any drug addiction, and in reality know little about either of them here in this country.

This is what I know:
Alcoholism(in my village)- I see many men drunk by 11am and they can barely walk to the next store, I have seen people passed out by noon in the grass, people rather drank wine or beer with their meals and if you don't have either of these they won't drink anything, Moldovans allow their own children to drank alcohol(the youngest I have seen is a 10 months old baby drinking beer), I had a young woman in fifth grade beg to have alcohol at her birthday party, the majority of the children at my center have parents that are alcoholics and don't get fed most of the day due to this, if you go to the local bar the majority of people there are 15 year olds enjoying their favorite vodka or beer, and if you ever go to a celebration which is basically every day you better be ready to drink.

Drug Addiction: Marijuana grows everywhere, and the only other popular drug is heroin. Beyond that I haven't found out much more information, but will hopefully be volunteering at the only IV drug rehab center in Moldova very soon!

Therefore as a whole the idea of my next project is to do a seminar about fetal alcohol syndrome. I want to educate the women and men about this possibility and to give them the knowledge of what some of their children may have. There will be a lot of obstacles with this seminar, but I am truly ready for the challenge no matter how many people back lash at me.

I thrive off of adventure, the feeling of starting and accomplishing something that no one else has even touched or thought of in this village is amazing.. I may not be able to impact every person, or have everyone like me, but I can help people to know the truth of what they are doing to themselves and their children.

To go back to my current project. I ask whoever is reading this blog to think about what is your daily routine. Do you have water? Toliet? Clothes? Car? Cellphone?... Do you eat out? Go for a drink with your friends? Go to a concert? or all the above? If so, please think if you donate 10-15 dollars to my center, you are helping one child to have a new winter coat, gloves and a hat. There are many times we can be selfish as people and that is very normal, and most of the time healthy. But for today.. Please be selfish for one of the Moldovan children.

I am excited about my adventure, excited to help, not every day I am happy, but in the end I know I will walk away from this country with success.

No comments:

Post a Comment