Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Catching up about my life here in Moldova

As you discover life can be different each day. A day of happiness, sadness, holidays, deaths, and everything in between. We really never know how to predict our life ahead of us, all we can do is live in the now and hope for the best in the future. This is the mindset that I have been trying to keep with each day I am in Moldova.

Today I have lived in Moldova for four months, and have been sworn in as a volunteer for two months.. Its really quite breath taking if I think about it... To live, sleep, wake up, breath and eat in another country every day for four months is an accomplishment in itself... But not only that its recognizing and looking back on the successes and challenges I have had along the way.. When I left America I really had no idea what to expect from Peace Corps, and to tell you the truth I still dont know what to expect with my service or my time here in Moldova, I can only go off of what has happened thus far. That is the joy and also the fright about being here.

There are many things that have happened to me over the past week that I have enjoyed to the fullest. One of those was the accomplishment with my romanian language. What I mean by this is four months ago I was not able to have a conversation with my host mom, and today I am able to have an in depth conversation. Three days ago my host mother and I got into a conversation about my mother, my father, and all the wonderful people in my life. She wanted to know why I had several sets of parents in my life. Well the truth was finally revealed about my past to my host mom, as hard as it is to talk about these areas of my life, it was also so fulfilling with being able to let her know a little about who I am and what I am about..

There are many stereotypes that Americans have about Moldovans and they have about us.. I was able to break some of those during this conversation... An example of this is the daily life of my host father here in Stauceni... His day consists of waking up, eating, working, eating and sleeping again. He really doesnt have time for anything else because he needs to work alot to provide for his family... During our conversation I was able to explain to my host mother that I had three jobs while I was back home and that I would also work all day and night to make and save money to be a volunteer.. We have the stereotype alot of the time that life is easy in America.. well it is in some ways, but is also very hard in others...

Another topic that we discussed during this time was the idea of vacations.. I let my host mother know that I am going to Germany in November to see my cousin and Spain in December with a friend. I shared this with her because she truly means something to me and I just like to share the joyful aspects of my life. Well this conversation brought up the differences in American then Moldova. Caroline explained to me that they dont have enough money to go on a lot of vacations that is why they have so many guests over at their houses so often. She went on to say that having guests over was their time to have fun and just relax away from work. This really made since to me, because when I think about it in America I really never had guests over that often, it really was only for special occasions like my birthday. This conversation really allowed me to step back and think... going on vacations in America is our time to relax and get away, when thats not possible you have to improvise and still make positive fun moments in your life.. Knowing that fun can be wherever you want it to be.

These examples are only a few of the many conversations I have had with my host mother, along with other moldovan people. There is so many thoughts and feelings to share with one another.. I know one of my main goals while I am here in Moldova is to allow myself to open up and be apart of a family, well that goal is already well on its way, I can truly say that Caroline, Peter, Katya and Nichole are my family, and will forever be in my heart..

With thinking about family and mentioning all the joys, I also look at how hard it is to be away from my family in America. I have always been close to each family member that I have, and have tried my whole life to build positive long lasting relationships with each of them. With this being said its very difficult to be in Moldova on different occassions when great events happen in my friends and families lives.. However maybe it also makes me appreciate them alot more. An example of this is my best friend in the whole world is pregnant and I wasnt able to be there for her to give her a hug and congratulate her on such exciting news.. Yet I know when I do see her and this wonderful child it will be such an amazing celebration and I cant look forward to anything more! Friendships.. families.. relationships.. and everything in between can be there for a lifetime if your willing to work at them and put in the effort..

This past week has been a great week, many lessons learned, many skills obtained, and a growth in my heart that no one can ever take away. This week I am sending out a thanks to my host mother Caroline, and my friends and family back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment