Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Things that make me smile...

As I have spent the last 4 days in the city of Chisinau my mind begins to drift in many directions... Positives ones at that... During my time here in Moldova my body has went through some difficult changes in the since of my health.. I don't always feel the best in the inside, but I always try to show that I am feeling great on the outside.. I always tell myself who would ever want to be around a downer.. For sure not me..

Recently the doctor told me that my condition wasn't getting any better and that I need to have blood tests drawn and also an ultra sound done... This may not sound like a scary thing, however it really was to me.. and all I really wanted was the comfort of my family... my friends, and all the amazing people that make me whole back home...

However, as someone recently said to me in the last few days "Jamie when life gives you lemons, you can always make lemonade." This person really put confidence in my soul, as she expressed to me that I am a strong hearted woman, and she knew this from the day she heard me talk during PST.

Just the simplicity of being heard and knowing that I am respected in this country.. Is truly enough for me.. Which to second that, a girl that I have become very close to over the past 3 months also expressed to me how strong she thought I was, and how she could see this the first time she met me.. These type of words are what help me through each day, and put a smile on my face..

Moldova may of not made my health the greatest, I can say that I have built some great friendships along the way... This past weekend I went back to visit my host family in Stauceni... This is always an exciting and fulfilling time for me... The "Titco family," is the most caring people I have ever met and are always there to sit with me, talk about my feelings and are always encouraging.. My host mom Caroline and host sister Katya knew I was struggling with some feelings, and they sat there and told me how smart, beautiful and perfect I was. It was a really kind thing of them to do, and made me feel so much better.. I haven't really wanted or recieved many hugs while in Moldova, but this family is always there to smother me with hugs and kisses from the time I step in their front gate.. Along with that I have Nichole screaming from the house "JAMIE!!!!" Which is honestly the BEST thing I can say about Moldova so far, is the impact that this young man has had on me. He is so bright! Nichole and I have just clicked from day one...

Also this weekend I was invited over to my Bunicul and Buncia's house in Stauceni for lunch. We enjoyed some vegteable salad, chicken, bread, watermelon, grapes, wine, chocolate and champange. It was so inspiring to sit there and reminicse about my thoughts and feelings about Moldova, and to feel like I was part of a family.. My Bunicul even invited me to go pick grapes with him while I am back for 2 weeks for Phase 3 for Peace Corps!! We are even going to make some wine!! Pretty exciting for me.. Just being included, accepted and talked to like a human being is so rewarding, and I truly couldn't ask for anything more. God has put this family into my life while I am in Moldova for a reason, they are a huge part of what drives me to stay in Moldova and want to continue to do great things. This family will be the hardest thing to say goodbye to while I am here..

Another awesome experience I have had this past weekend was staying in TDY.. What is this place? Well its the medical unit for Peace Corps.. Yes I know it doesn't sound all that great, and you are probably saying why in the world would that be fulfilling.. Well in fact there were 3 other volunteers with me in this medical unit. We made spaghetti together, watched a movie, and just talked about our feelings in Moldova, our frustrations, our joys, and everything in between. The hardest thing about a new place is going through new challenges, but whats even better about it is knowing that I am not alone in my new struggles...

There are many rewards to come in my two year service.. I can feel them, and not only can I feel them but I can clearly see them just by the strength I am having through these hard times... And really the friendships and the new family members are all I really need to say I was successful here...

As the person I quoted before "When life gives you lemons Jamie, I know you could make lemonade." At this point Moldova has given me: gal bladder problems, vomiting, stomach cramping, nausea,Giardia(George), constipation, blood tests, ultra sound, and three chipped teeth...

But in return I have recieved: New amazing friends, family, romanian language, a stronger heart, more respect for my country and Moldovans, some cooking skills, a chance to voice my thoughts and feelngs about drug and alcohol abuse in Moldova, a chance to help others, a voice to talk with children about their family and abandonment struggles, encouragement, patience, self relfection, self respect, and overall it has given me an experience that most will never have.

I love my country.. I love Moldova... and I look forward to the good and bad that I will endure over the next two years.. For now I will say Moldova has given me more GOOD then bad.. and I will continue moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment