Monday, June 20, 2011

My first week in Moldova

Words cant describe what its like to wake up in a new country.. with a new family.. new friends.. and not being able to speak the language... Living in Moldova has made me find my voice in a new light.. As well all know I love to talk and joke around.. However every time I have tried to do that its all been like a mime.. The silent Jamie has been revealed.. My host family is great.. Nick my host brother has really grown on me.. He stands about 4 feet tall and is 7 years old.. We enjoy many nights together where we do different taekwondo moves. As for my host sister Catea she is 23 and is exactly like me.. She speaks some english.. We have had many exciting evenings together talking about her Romanian boyfriend and the life as a Moldovan woman. It has been prevailed to me that we as Americans are not different then Moldovans.. Its just the different beliefs, likes, dislikes, cultures, and values that separate us. She has truly taught me a lot about myself.

As for my lovely host mother Caroline, she is the most kind, hospitable person I have ever met.. Even though we can not speak to each other, our slight exchange in words, and gestures does us well. She makes me smile every day and makes me feel more then welcome in her home. Her husband Peter(my host father) is very quite and shy, however I got to experience photo viewing with him. He opened up to me on a sunny day and was talking about his time with the Soviet Union and how it was foarte greu(very hard) and how America was (este reu) which means very bad. However before anyone gets offended I have to let you know Peter loves to glumesc(joke). So we were having a good time, and it was incredible to see the pictures from that time. Those are moments that many will not get to experience and times I will forever cherish.

Above I have only went in little detail about my host family. But I want to really express the love I have for Moldova. Every day I walk to school thinking about my life and cherishing these moments. There are many things I have taken for granted such as tap water, a place to sleep, money, a great job.. And there are many in other countries that do not have it as well as I did in America. So I will say in the beginning of my Peace Corps journey... I am happy.. and I am proud I took this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment