Thursday, December 1, 2011

The 1st of December...

Waking up this morning with one of the worst colds/flu I have had in a long time didn't bring much joy to my day. Unfortunately I  was unable to go to work due to my head feeling three times bigger then it is. In this case I spent my day in bed trying to rest up to feel better.

My host mom came to the house around 2pm in the afternoon, not knowing that I was home. She quickly questioned this and wanted to know what was wrong. She was a little upset with me that I didn't come tell her I was sick. She expressed she would of came and made a fire for me so I could of stayed warm and not of had to stay in a cold house all day. I tried to let her know that it wasn't a big deal to me, and I am used to be on my own when I am sick.. She didn't like that answer.. Can say she is quite the sweet lady.

Soon after I let my host mom know I was ill, I found her returning to my house about every 30 minutes to see if I was feeling any better. As well know "sicknesses," can't be cured that quick, but she was hoping mine would. She kept asking me to call Peace Corps to tell them I am ill, however I let her know that for a cold/flu it's not necessary. She once again returned to my house with strawberry jam and lemon tea. She expressed that I needed to drink this and she hopes that I feel better very soon.

Also, during this time my work partner stopped by with a bag of apples and a raspberry jam for tea as well. My partner asked me "how," I had gotten sick, and she believed, along with all my colleagues that it was from the "current." In Moldova there is a belief about the "current," which  is essentially wind and when someone has a window or a door open it allows this breeze or what they say "current," to come in.  I had expressed at one point I didn't believe in such a thing, and my partner continues to express that it's real and probably how I was sick. She also expressed that it may be because my "scarf," didn't cover my throat completely. At this point I was laughing to myself, and thinking these are stupid myths and this is not at all why I am ill. It's just the mere fact that winter is here, the weather is changing, and people get colds.  But like always I didn't say much, because it was very generous of her to bring me apples and jam.

I can say that being sick in Moldova is quite depressing none the less. At home I could get in my car and go to my families or grandparents and be taken care of, or I would have my roommate who was always there for me. It always just feels better when you have someone around that cares. As for Moldova I don't have anyone, and that really makes things a little harder. With feelings this way, I kept myself busy by watching movie series, and writing in this blog. It may suck, but este viata(it's life).

Every day I am here I experience a new emotion. Some better then others.

No comments:

Post a Comment