Sunday, November 13, 2011

Life continues in Moldova in the middle of November...

As the middle of November approaches I find myself becoming more content with my life in Moldova. Day to day it's tough, and in all reality I recognize that my heart will always be in the United States of America. However, with the commitment that I made here I realize I need to make the best of each day.

With bringing the picture of my life back to this blog I wanted to refresh everyone on what it is that I do every day.

10:30 am- Wake Up
12:00 pm-3:30pm- Work at my center
2:00-2:45 pm- English Club (M, W, TH)
3:30-4:30 pm- Sports Club for Women(M-W-F)
4:30 pm-1:00 am- Computer, cook, and lounge around.

As you can see my schedule is limited and I don't really accomplish a whole lot through out my days. Yet I will say the four hours I do work every day I make the best of it and try to inquire as many projects as I possibly can.

In December of this year, which will make the 6 month mark of my service I will be having 200 children provided for. I don't compare nor do I ever want to with other volunteers, but I can say that is one heck of an accomplishment that I am proud of especially for only living in my village for four months.

And when I say I am proud of myself I truly mean that, but I also want to include in that statement that giving to young children is not something I normally do, or have ever wanted to do, and in all reality feels quite awkward. I am a drug counselor, and forever will work in the area of corrections. I like living in a tough world, and like working with people who challenge me. The majority of time the children in Moldova don't challenge me, it's more the environment that makes me take a second look. This is what makes this specific projects more awkward for me, but I can say it's a good thing. And I have truly recognized that I will never be completely happy with my life in Moldova, but when I arrive into the US, I will be forever satisfied with knowing that I have/had the willingness to help others before myself.

The inconsistent schedules drive me up the wall, and with knowing my personality, most of you can only assume on how I respond... Well assume all you want.. :) I can openly state that I don't respond the way that the "Jamie," did in the US. I simply keep my mouth shut, and learn how to be patient and effective around all the schedule changes. If I don't learn anything else during my service, I can at least say I learned patience...

Opinions about myself and others...

This is something that hurts my feelings a lot... The constant perception of who I am and who my family members are... Well some of the Moldovans that I have came across haven't always said the nicest thing about Americans, and specifically about myself and my family. With out even knowing me they automatically assume I have money and I have selfish family back home... This is where I want to get defensive and say "You have known me for less then 1 minute," and you already assume all the wrong things... However, in turn I find little tactics here and there to let these specific people they are wrong, and need to get an attitude adjustment. I am here to spread Peace and Friendship, and to let people know who Americans are, and what we are all about....

Here is an example:
Rutiera ride on 11-13-11
-I was on my way to the Gara de Sud and found myself sitting by a young man in his early twenties. I simply asked him if the rutiera was going to the South Station. He seemed to not understand me at first, but as the conversation went on he noticed my American accent and assured me that I was on the right rutiera. However, when it was revealed that I was an American he wouldn't stop asking me for my phone number, and kept saying how much he wanted to go to the US, and that I could take him if I wanted to. I kept insisting to this man that I didn't have a cell phone(which I do have one), and that I couldn't receive any phone numbers. He continued to ask if he could write his phone number down and give it to me so I could call him. I kept saying NO... As he continues to talk to me asking me about my family, how much money they have, if I will take him to America, and how he can't go because he doesn't have enough money. I ended the conversation by telling him that a lot of Moldovan's want to go the US and that I do not live there any more. I simply expressed to him that I live in Moldova, work with out pay, that I don't plan on going back to the US any time soon, and that I couldn't help him with his problem.

I found myself handling this uncomfortable situation very well. Yet as I am writing this blog it still bothers me on how insistent people are, and how they automatically jump into Americans taking them to the US.. Why don't we get accepted as people instead of "the rich Americans."

As I relate this topic to the conversation I recently had with my friend Alex who lives in Moldova with his girlfriend Tanya. Alex and Tanya are both Moldovan and give me a good perspective on life. As I was saying Alex and I were talking about American's being noticed where ever we go. He was expressing to me how easy it is to pick and target Americans.. My defense to this is in America we have so many people of different cultures, races, etc and that a foreign person to us is normal and natural. Myself as an America don't sit back and judge a different race or culture every time I see them. However, here in Moldova "we as americans get judge everyday for simply speaking english."  And with this I have been responded to in several different ways.

And here are some examples:

1. A lady screaming at another volunteer and I for speaking english and saying "you are in Moldova so respect us and speak our language." Funny part is Tom and I were on our way to a charity event to help out their country.
2. Moldovans walking out of the same restaurants that we are in because they don't want to here us talking or speaking in English when they are having dinner.
3. A random man grabbing me while I was at a bar and tried to kiss me just because I was American.
4. An older lady telling me how crazy I was for carrying a backpackers bag and said I shouldn't carry that on the bus. Simply because it touched her leg.
5. People constantly making fun of me because I speak romanian with an english accent.
6. Walking through the local Piata as men are screaming "AMERICAN!!"
7. Young children running out of the local magazine(store) in my village screaming "Mom I just saw Jamie!!"
8. Walking into the local store and buying supplies for my new home, as the lady says pick out what you want and you can have it for free. This lady is amazingly respectful and grateful of volunteers.
9. Buying a bottle of wine at wine festival as the vender gives me another bottle for free just for being American and visiting their stand.

I could go on and on about my experiences, but that gives you a feel of the negative and positive that happens in my daily life... Most of it comes out of no where and throws me off balance..

With living in Moldova I really don't know what to expect from day to day. This is very strange for me with always have the same schedule in America and feeling very content with it. Yet sometimes it's enjoyable to live with out knowing...

I have had some great things happen to me lately. The biggest one is my new friendship with Alex and Tanya. I met these two wonderful people at the Moldovan Wine Festival.  They invited myself and a couple of other volunteers to the Eli Pili Bar. We ended up staying there most of the night and had some great conversations.. From there Alex, Tanya and I have stayed in contact with one another and have hung out numerous times since Wine Fest.

This past weekend Alex and Tanya invited me to the sauna with two of their friends and Alex's mom and sister. I really can't even express how grateful I am that I met Alex and Tanya, and their family and friends. Every time I am with them I can feel like myself and really allow myself to relax. They all speak english which helps alot, however it's their personalities and character that make all the difference. Alex's mom made the comment that they are my family in Chisinau and I am welcome any time. So now I have a family in Stauceni and Chisinau. Couldn't be any luckier then that. I really have came across some of the best people in Moldova!
Take a look at the awesome place they took me!
http://saunapremier.md/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55&lang=en

The other thing I have appreciated this past week is my new host mom Domana Catea. She is so kind to me every day and is always considerate of my needs. She really understands that I like my privacy and is more then welcome to give it to me(which I love). Just a shout out to her. :)

SOMETHING I AM PROUD OF:

With a little change of pace I wanted to mention my new desire. As most of you know "Jamie is never satisfied and always needs a new challenge." Finally I have submitted my application for graduate school. I decided on the University of Cincinnati Criminal Justice Program. I will begin on January 3, 2012 and end December 10, 2012. It's less then a year program. I will be taking two classes every 5-6 weeks and completing a demonstration project at the end of the year. I am very excited about my new adventure, and most of all having my time occupied on the long winter nights when I have nothing to do from 4:30 pm and on...
Website: http://cjonline.uc.edu/


ENDING WITH A LITTLE BIT OF FUN :)


10 Reasons Why Outhouses are better then toliets
1. You never have to flush
2. Always have a constant draft to blow away the smell.
3. Never have to live in the same house where you shit.. :)
4. When you have company they don't have to embarrass themselves by leaving a stink...
5. Never gets clogged and you won't have to worry about water running all over your bathroom floor.
6. You never have to look what came out of your body when your stomach starts turning, because once it's in the whole you can't distinguish which shit is yours.
7. Don't have to sit on the same seat as everyone else, because most of the time there is NO seat.
8. Your legs get a work out from squatting.
9. Surprising your balance gets better after realizing you better keep it or you will be falling into a pile of pooo..
10. Overall, Outhouses are better then indoor toliets because that's all I have for now...

For your enjoyment check out this video. It is made by Peace Corps Volunteers and is very similar to life in Moldova.
website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koUWaAr-itY

No comments:

Post a Comment